Singing a Submission
OUR LADY OF LA VANG SCHOOL SINGING “SO BRIGHT” – THEIR SUBMISSION TO THE DISABILITY ROYAL COMMISSION
Submissions to the Disability Royal Commission can be in any format and are used as a method for sharing experiences with the Commissioners and the wider community about people’s experience of living with disability.
DACSSA had the very great honour of working together with the students of Our Lady of La Vang School so they could “say it their way”. We worked for a day of recording, singing a song written as a submission to the Disability Royal Commission.
Together we achieved great things
- To use music and play, to engage children with disability for the purpose of raising their voice to the Disability Royal Commission
- Produce a song and music video to use as a submission to the Disability Royal Commission
- Highlight an innovative, progressive and courageous approach to eliciting viewpoints of children and their lived experience
- Create a strengths-based environment to discuss issues affecting children with disability and their support networks
- Challenge stereotypes of children with autism and intellectual disability
- Mobilise inclusive teaching strategies to communicate effectively with each individual child and in turn provide them with equitable access to contribution to the music and video
- Support children with disability, their families and their school to highlight reforms and recommendations needed for student’s futures to be bright.
We thank Our Lady of La Vang School for their collaboration in achieving this important project.
More information can be found on the Disability Royal Commission submissions page.
You can share your story:
- in writing,
- over the phone,
- in a video,
- as an audio recording.
Submissions can be made in your any language you feel comfortable, including Indigenous languages and Auslan. We will provide interpreters and translators.
You don’t have to give your name when you make a submission.
Feel free to contact us for more information or assistance with making your submission.