Disability Advocate - Diversity Ally
Are you passionate about making a difference for people living with a disability?
DACSSA is a well-established independent advocacy service for people living with disability in South Australia. We advocate for inclusion, equality, choice & social justice.
We are seeking a highly driven, reliable and knowledgeable person to join our committed & progressive team in the provision of person-centred, high quality individual advocacy services.
With values aligned to the organisation, the successful applicant will have exceptional communication skills, appreciation of culture and diversity, as well as a sound understanding of human rights and the types of issues encountered by, and supports available to, people living with disability.
This role will require a trauma-informed approach and effective management of an advocacy file load that will include supporting and empowering people to interact with the Disability Royal Commission.
To succeed in this role, you will need…
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent experience (e.g. social science)
- Demonstrated commitment to DACSSA’s values and objectives
- A broad understanding of disability and associated challenges
- Knowledge of the disability sector, systems and stakeholders
- Knowledge of the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to build relationships / rapport quickly and effectively
- Cultural and diversity awareness / competency
- To support individuals in a person-centred, trauma informed manner
- To provide confidential and impartial support to individuals seeking advocacy services
- To empower clients to self-advocate
- Efficient and accurate administration and IT skills
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise competing demands
- Effective time and resource management skills and ability to demonstrate sound performance
- Demonstrated ability to effectively solve problems and manage conflict
- Satisfactory criminal history and employment screening records.
Applications including a CV and cover letter can be submitted by email to Kendall Field: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DACSSA is an equal opportunity employer. People with disability, as well as individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.