Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia Inc (DACSSA) is a respectful, client-focussed organisation that provides free and independent individual and systemic advocacy for South Australians living with disabilities.
DACSSA works to champion the cause of people with disability through developing positive relationships and extensive, productive networks. These strengthen our ability to provide services to our clients as well as improve the system for all. DACSSA remains a highly visible leader of advocacy, sharing our client-led insight into issues relating to disability.
DACSSA seeks to build on the individual strengths of people with disability and enable community capacity building. We believe that every South Australian living with disability has the right to be heard.
We respond actively to calls by state and national media for our commentary, and meet regularly with members of Parliament and legislative committees to provide trusted and proactive systemic advocacy. We strongly believe in the value of a state-based, independent, advocacy agency.
We advocate for inclusion, equality, choice and social justice.
Most importantly, we look for opportunities to jointly promote and protect the rights of people with disabilities and empower individuals with disability to control their lives.
What is disability advocacy?
Disability advocacy is acting, speaking or writing to promote, protect and defend the human rights of people with disability.
How can we help?
DACSSA can provide advocacy services to assist with a range of matters including but not limited to:
- NDIS Appeals
- Discrimination & Human Rights
- Equal Opportunity
- Housing & Homelessness
- Complaints about Disability Services
- Mental Illness
- SACAT Orders
*DACSSA does not provide legal advice or services.
We can assist you to address your grievances or resolve your issues by:
- Developing and planning a way forward that considers your goal outcome and the resolution of your matter.
- Informing you about different systems and options for pursuing formal complaints.
- Informing you about your rights.
- Attending meetings with you.
- Making enquiries to Government and non-Government agencies with you and on your behalf with your permission.
- Accessing or creating documents with your permission.
- Referring and connecting you to helpful agencies and services.
- Supporting you to navigate external and statutory complaints processes.
In line with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, DACSSA promotes individual rights to freedom of expression, dignity, self-determination and decision-making. DACSSA actively prevents abuse, harm, neglect and violence of people with disability in accordance with the National Standards for Disability Services and the NDIS Code of Conduct.
What can't DACSSA do?
We cannot assist you if…
- your issue is not disability related.
- you require a legal service.
- you need diagnostic advice.
- you require financial support.
- you require case management.
There are some matters that DACSSA cannot assist with however we will always take time to hear about the issues you’re experiencing and connect you with an appropriate referral service who may be better positioned to meet your needs.
Please also refer to Other Disability Support Resources on this website.
Since 1991, DACSSA has served South Australians with integrity and courage, supporting the disability community to live their best lives, uphold their rights, and be safe from abuse and discrimination.
Many of our team have lived experience of disability and this drives our compassionate and empathetic approach to disability advocacy. Each person in our team and board has a defined, recognised specialisation, versatility, and aptitude for collaboration. We strive to bring a progressive, industry-leading approach to securing better outcomes for people with disabilities.
Our 5 values are the guiding principles behind everything we do:
- Integrity: We build relationships of trust and are accountable for our actions.
- Client focused: Our approach is person centred, collaborative and strengths based.
- Progressive: We strive to lead the sector with progressive thinking, appreciative inquiry and evidence-based practice.
- Respect: We pursue respectful and inclusive approaches to our work with clients and stakeholders including respondents of complaints.
- Courage: We are confident to challenge the status quo and achieve change for people living with disability.
OUR STRATEGIC PRIORITY AREAS
- Service Development
- People, Culture & Wellbeing
- Visibility & Awareness
Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia Inc (DACSSA) is an incorporated, not-for-proﬁt organisation. We are funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services (DSS) to provide individual and systemic advocacy to people living with disability, their families and carers in South Australia, including information and supports relating to NDIS Appeals and the Disability Royal Commission.
DACSSA is registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC). Details of charity and annual reporting can be found on the ACNC website.
DACSSA holds Deductible Gift Recipient status in accordance with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). This means donations made to DACSSA may be tax deductible.